Friday, June 1, 2012

let's talk about books


I used to spend hours every week immersed in books: reading books, talking about books, writing about books. Fiction and non-fiction. Novels, plays, academic treatises. A steady march of words across a constant stream of pages, a seemingly never-ending stack to be read.

Now I work in a world that is very different from my college life, with very little opportunity for literature. I miss it dearly, and so I hope to use this space to talk about what I've been reading in my spare time. To steal a phrase from James Wood's How Fiction Works, I want to get my hands "inkier with text," to consider more thoroughly my reactions and responses to the books I read and keep a record of them. I love discussing a book I've liked, or arguing about one I haven't, so I'm looking forward to giving this a try!

1 comment:

  1. Nice! Way to go, Allie - we're taking this leap into bloggerdom together!

    ReplyDelete